Saturday, February 19, 2011

Step 4 - Shopping

Spent the day in LA's fabric district. Walked around a lot. I knew I wanted to make this gown something more elaborate than it's drawn so I went with a bright red taffeta, covered with sheer.

Initially, I wanted to go with a bright red that had a black sheer on top because I've seen that combination before and I thought it was really pretty. However when shopping, I felt that just the red and black was too dark, so I got another sheer to go on the very top: a dark red. I didn't want it too bright, because I feel like that looks tacky, but if it's too dark it wouldn't look like a red gown.

For the black trim at the bottom and at the sleeves, I wanted something that would be big enough to be visible through the layers of sheer, but would still have the same shape that the original images showed. Guesstimated 2 yards for both sleeves, so about a yard per sleeve, and then 10 yards for the bottom. Iiii am hoping that's going to be enough??

The corset-ish thing, I want to use vinyl for, with lace on top. I saw one of my friends do that for one of her costumes and I really like the effect it had. There's the sheen and form that vinyl has, but the lace breaks it up and adds texture. Plus, with the lace, it's more ~fancy~ which will make it match the rest of the gown. Found the vinyl and bought a yard of it since I really doubt I'll need more. Didn't find a lace I liked though.

So in the end, yeah. got lots of fabric. I did my math really really quickly and a little sloppily before we left for LA, so I think I overbought my fabric. By...a lot... 12 yards of each is what I got, I don't think I actually need more than 9, but eh. I'm making a full circle skirt so too much is way better than too little.

No comments:

Post a Comment